[thelist] mysqldump and crontab

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sun Apr 9 10:20:58 CDT 2006

Robert Gormley wrote:
> The backtick works fine interactively by the command line - but doesn't
> seem to be parsed by cron... is there any equivalent, or do I just need
> to do more escaping?

By default, cron runs /bin/sh, not bash -- subtle differences, but...

>>>I'm trying to set up a mysqldump job by crontab - problem is, the job
>>>works via command line (bash shell on CentOS 4.3)

>>>/usr/local/bin/mysqldump -A --user=xxx --password=xxx | /usr/bin/bzip2
>>>-c > /home/backup/db/`date
>>>    \+%Y%m%d`.sql.bz2

I'd first try putting the full path of `date` in there; if that's
no help, put the entire command in a shell script and invoke *that*
from cron.

Just for grins, I made a shell script from this, adjusted for local
conditions :-) and ran that from cron successfully (SuSE 9.1).

HTH!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
                opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com

                          dream.  code.