[thelist] Formatting rightholder's name...

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 15:18:58 CDT 2006

List,

I'm finally getting round to redesigning the website for my radio show - I'd
been unhappy with the current design since I first invented it in 2002, so
it's about time.

Since it's a Country & Western-programme, I'm trying to get a country feel
to it, which, to me, means browns and a bit of wood-pattern. I've chosen
blue for a contrasting color and I'd like your opinions on my current
design: http://www.countryexpress.nl/nieuw

But here's the issue. I want to use that photo of a rearing horse in the
banner. Having contacted the website the photo comes from, I'm allowed to
use it, if I mention the photographer's name. Currently, the banner says
"Foto: Jeremy Rynders".

However, the site is going to be multilingual (Dutch and English), so I
shouldn't really include "Foto", or I should make a different one that says
"Photo" for English. But most (local) visitors will come from
telephone-lines, so 5 Kbps max. The banner is 17KB, so I don't really want
to reload it every time a visitor changes their language. I've thought about
putting "(c) Jeremy Rynders" there, but I think that will be misinterpreted as
including the guitar, which is mine.

I could probably place the text somewhere else, but I've been meddling with
it for a while now and I rather like it as it is now. Apart from the fact
that English visitors will claim a spelling error....

Any tips?

Rick.

On a sidenote, I completely forgot to post a follow-up to the XLS Export
question I asked a while ago. After testing, we finally went for the PEAR
Spreadsheet_Excel_Writer package, which doesn't really need PEAR, as Dejan
Kozina mentioned. It is dependent on the PEAR OLE module and the
PEAR.phpfile, but uploading those files alongside our export script
worked
magnificently.