[thelist] Ruby on Rails, ssh, ActionMailer smtp quandries

April april at farstrider.org
Mon Apr 10 18:59:07 CDT 2006

I'm working on a Ruby app (very beginner), and would like to use
ActionMailer (because salted hash login generators relies on it).  Now a
whole slew of problems are popping up, and ruining my so-far great rails
experience.

1.  On my development box, I would really like to avoid setting up
sendmail.  ActionMailer can use smtp, but not with SSL or with TLS
authentification.  I also can't figure out how to fake out smtp servers
that require you to login to pop before using them.  This has ruled out
gmail, my ISP mail account, and my web hosting companies mail account.
Does anyone know of a free or extremely low cost place I can get an smtp
account that will work with ActionMailer?

2.  I tried moving things to production (a third part hosted shared
server) to at least assure myself that if I wrote the app without mail
working, I could be bad and test it on production.  The hosting company
does not allow SSH access, though, and I can't even figure out how to
set up a sym link so I can run Rails on that domain.  They claim to
offer ruby on rails, but the lack of SSH seems like a major hurdle to
that, which leads to two questions:
2a.  Does anyone know how to set up a symlink without ssh so rails will
cope?  Or is there a certain way I can upload things to erase the need
for a symlink?
2b.  Will the lack of ssh continue to plague me in the future, to the
point where I should go purchase a better hosting account?  I hate to
split up my domains between different hosts, but not being able to
follow any of the tutorials I've found to get me started is also
frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
April