[thelist] tips on calendar software

Jeffrey Joslin lists at joslins.net
Mon Apr 10 21:12:03 CDT 2006

Mattias Thorslund wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 11:43 -0700, Mattias Thorslund wrote:
>>
>>> I'm looking for an open-source (perhaps PHP/MySQL) calendar server
>>> solution in order to share calendars and task lists within my work
>>> group. Have searched on sourceforge, and googled as well, but I seem to
>>> turn up only dead/stale projects or "just started" ones.
> Thanks, but not quite... I'm more looking for something where the people
> I work with can check my schedule. I also plan to put my daily tasks on
> the calendar so people can see what I plan to work on that day.

You could go the emerging "microformats" route and make a feed of your
schedule stream that they can subscribe to in their scheduling apps
(desktop or web-based):
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar

Here's an example implementation at technorati:
http://feeds.technorati.com/events/

"Enter the URL of a page with hCalendar event information...to
automatically get (or subscribe to) the events on that page into your
calendar program."

Here is a brief discussion of how this might work:
(using hCalendar, x2v calendar parsing tool, and hCalendar creator)
http://microformats.org/blog/2005/06/25/gnomedex-calendar-the-microformat-way/

Here is a bit more about microformats in general:
http://microformats.org/about/

Basically, it expands upon the vCard data format concept to create wide
standards for other things like event data, list data, polling/voting
data, social network data et cetera.

Might be a bit overblown and/or avant garde for your needs, but who
knows...hope it helps anyway.

jeffrey

jeffrey joslin
president

dev::impact
    525 broadway, 2nd floor, new york, new york 10012
      (office) 646.435.7878 (fax) 646.485.4068 (cel) 646.245.8800
        (email) jeffrey at devimpact.com  (web) www.devimpact.com