[thelist] Trouble setting onClick dynamically in IE and FireFox

Chris Dorer cdorer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 23:43:24 CDT 2006

I'm trying to set all my links with an onclick dynamically using body
onload.

When I write out the onclick of the 'a' tag, it'll print me what I set
it to.  However, the code WILL not execute the jscript popup.  Does
anybody have ANY ideas why this happens and how to make it work properly?

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function starter() {
        var e = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
        alert( e.length );
        for( var i=0; i < e.length; i++ ) {
            e[i].onclick = "alert( 'Hey you!' ); return false;";
            alert( e[i].onclick );
        }
        return true;
    }

    </script>

    <a id="a" href="page2.php" >Click here and you'll go crazy/a><br />
    <a id="b" href="link1.html" >Click here and you won't</a>

I've been searching all over google not finding an answer.  I'm
wondering if anybody came across this issue before.

Thanks in advance,
Chris