[thelist] programming info

April april at farstrider.org
Wed Apr 19 17:43:24 CDT 2006

Even with significant learning, you're not at the point where you could
just sit down and write a program like some would a short story.  No one
ever reaches that point for an entire long project, and it takes some
experience before people hit that point for small programs.

Pick a project.  Think about it extensively; brainstorm and write it all
down.  Good newbie ones are a recipe box, a time clock... What will the
project do?  What information will it need from a user?  What
information will it figure out on its own?  What special tricks will it
need to do (use database, send email)?  Then start writing a bunch of
to-do lists.  The big to-do list might say "get information from user"
and the smaller to-do list for that page might say "Have areas for name,
password, email" and "Verify the password is long enough".  On your
first pass, do the completely necessary stuff, and leave the less
necessary stuff for the next pass.  Add more to the list as it occurs to
you.

Then look things up.  What tutorial had information about reading from
forms?  Use google a lot.  O'Reilly books are good for laying on the
table beside you, and the php.net documentation is great for reference
too.  Having to look something up is not a sign you don't know what
you're doing and should go back to the beginning of the tutorial.. it's
a sign you need to write more programs (and maybe make yourself some
flash cards later).

Feel free to stick me in your address book and send me more concrete
questions later when you need it. I've moved pretty firmly into "novice"
myself. ;)