[thelist] cross platform mysql

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Thu Apr 20 23:35:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 08:58 -0700, Canfield, Joel wrote:
> > systems. Make sure you are running the same vesions or close
> > point releases. And make sure your language / character
> > settings are the same. UTF versus Latin (something like that
> > got me once).
>
> I was hoping to go with the latest version on the slave side (which
> would be Windows, in this case.) Just because.
>
> if this would be one-way, 4.1 on linux to 5.x on windows, do you see any
> problems?

That's a pretty big jump, the version 5 is quite a bit different in how
it handles some types of data and it's internationalization has been
already mentioned by Anthony. Some data types like floating point
decimals are different, for instance, in MySQL 4.0, the float type is by
default 10 digits long, 4 after the decimal point.

http://php9.bloghi.com/2006/03/03/upgrading-to-mysql-5-float-issue.html

Ran across this doing a migration a while ago that may come in handy for
you too:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysql-upgrade.html

--
cheers,