[thelist] Uncaching content

Lee kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:58:40 CDT 2006

On 25/04/06, Kevin Martin <evolt at brasscannon.net> wrote:
> Do I really have to generate an infinite
> series of new names instead?

That's one way, if you find this works when generating the new file
names on the server, then you haven't got a caching problem in the
first place.  How did receive the HTML document with the references to
the new file names?  Or have you managed to prevent caching of your
HTML, but not your images?

> Don't-cache-this tips I've tried so far:
>  Cache-Control: no-store  <!-- http header sent by PHP -->

Hmm, just checking, does this appear when you do a "View Source"?  If
so, it's not a HTTP header, it's in the HTTP response body.

This may well disable caching on the client, but servers will probably
ignore any directives in the HTTP response body.

> What else IS there?

Well what caching directives have you specified for the IMAGES?  I've
only seen directives in the HTML( & perhaps the PHP).

I'd suggest this page for further reading:
http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

...and I'll also plug an article from someone who writes a fair amount
of BEA Weblogic's technical articles...

http://www.subbu.org/weblogs/welcome/2005/01/http_caching.html

--
LK