[thelist] htaccess to turn on php

robert roadtested at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 21:55:52 CDT 2006

On Apr 27, 2006, at 4:58 AM, Ken Chase wrote:

> On 4/26/06, robert <roadtested at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>> I've just joined a project as web designer with hosting with a
>> japanese company. I have discovered that the server they are using
>> requires .htaccess file in order to use php (yes for an entire site).
>> is this a normal arrangement?
>>
> I would suggest that you check with the hosting company. I've had to
> add the following to .htaccess so that pages with .htm or .html
> extension are processed as php:
>
> AddType x-mapp-php4 .html .htm

Ah yes, I've had to use .htaccess to do the same, but I've never had
to do it to enable php. php has always been on and ready to go in my
other projects--just change the extension to .php and go.

I've understood it to be inefficient and so it came across as
amateurish for a webhosting company to do.

-robert