[thelist] Networks, webservers, file servers, etc.

Richard Brown rich at cregy.co.uk
Tue May 2 01:32:21 CDT 2006

Hi

I am hoping that as this is my first post this is the right list to
post to.

I am starting to look at building networks. I have up to now usually
used a Netgear 4 port router/hub and ran a network like that. The
network usually consists of a variety of OS's but most XP boxes.

However, I now want to add into these networks, backup technology and
also webservers. I use Mac OS X but can use also XP or Linux sort of! I
know I need to use a modem to connect to the net and serve web pages
but is it best to use Netgear's in built web pages or default to a
purpose build web serverplease? If I built a web server would you then
have that as a file server and also as a router please?

Any advice would be welcome please and if I am on the wrong list please
forgive me and direct me to another one if you know of one.

Many thanks.
--
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk