[thelist] mysqldump syntax error?

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed May 3 16:41:52 CDT 2006

Hi Mark,

Mark Groen <evolt at markgroen.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 11:21 -0700, Canfield, Joel wrote:
>> copied directly from the help files:
>>
>>     mysqldump --opt db_name > backup-file.sql
>>
>> which I modified to
>>
>>     mysqldump --opt cdrdb > cdr200605.sql
>>
>> and I get error 1064 'your syntax
>
> Are you running this as a user with the mysql> command line interface?
> mysqldump is a standalone (for a shell script call, or a .bat file on
> Windows) and shouldn't be running inside the MySQL CLI itself.

That does sound like what he's doing wrong.  Joel, how are you connecting to this database?  I assume since its a phone system, some GUI remote mysql administration tool like MySQL Front or the MySQL Query Browser?  If so, then yes, Mark is right on.  You can't run a mysqldump command from a mysql interactive query shell.

You could install mysql on a workstation (Linux or windows) then run the local mysqldump program from there (as a shell or batch file...)

-dave