[thelist] The Perfect Web Server - An elusive Search

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri May 5 20:05:53 CDT 2006

It's been said many times: your OS will only be as stable and secure as your
admins are competant in the platforms.

Any of the major OSes can be made to be secure and stable - it's a matter of
knowing what you are doing.

I would pick the platform you feel most comfortable with and skill up on that
platform. It doesn't matter whether it's Windows, or MacOSX, or *Nix - if you
have the necessary knowledge you will be fine.

FWIW, even though you have ranked Windows last on your list of OSes, there
are many major banks and financial institutions (the type of people who need
to worry about continuous uptime and security) running parts of their
critical infrastructure on Windows. So, it can be done if you have the
expertise.

If you feel more comfortable with Red Hat, then go with that instead.

Cheers
Ken