[thelist] CSS div inheret height?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sat May 6 04:47:55 CDT 2006

Info at internetvraagbaak.nl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am struggling a bit with some div's i put in a container div.
> Have a header div and then three columns. The Middle column will be
> the one that expands because of the content. The left and right
> should adjust their length to that one...

tables work the way you describe, divs floated or positioned by CSS to
create columns do not.

height will grow to accommodate content or min-height (IE tricks needed)

you can get a visual approximation of matching height using one of the
"faux column" techniques.

see
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/
A List Apart: Articles: Faux Columns

for the original and google on "faux columns" for alternatives.

hth

--
Join me: http://wiki.workalone.co.uk/
Thank me: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/1VK42TQL7VD2F