[thelist] DB Schema Design

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Mon May 8 09:27:34 CDT 2006

Will Davidson wrote:

> On the contrary, this is very easy to maintain ... each function will be
> defined as roughly the same database query (might as well reuse code) with a
> different variable based on the function call, see the below example in
> php.

blech. OK, I realize the original question posited a PHP context,
so, well, whatever. :-)

In an OOP context, though, methods ("functions") don't exist in a
vacuum -- they belong to objects.

So Customer.getStatus() and Product.getStatus() would be entirely
different unless Customer and Product either had a super/subclass
relationship, or both extended another object with a getStatus()
method.

Regardless, mixing attributes of different "things" in one table,
simply because they have a common name, just feels wrong to me.

YMMV!
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
                opinion: webtuitive.blogspot.com

                          dream.  code.