[thelist] DB Schema Design

Hershel Robinson hershel at galleryrobinson.com
Mon May 8 13:56:26 CDT 2006

I have been informed off list, by someone who knows far better than I,
that the schema proposed is indeed considered normalized. Details of
third normal form (3NF) can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_normal_form

and the schema described fits the definition.

Beyond that, however, I have now also learned that the concept of the
schema proposed is not a new idea. It is known in DB circles as 'one
true lookup table' or OTLT and a quick search in Google confirms that in
general it is considered to not be the best schema available, for a
myriad of reasons, some of which have indeed already been brought up by
evolters.

Don't let me feign any false sense of authority on this subject,
however. Let the debate carry on...  :)

Hershel

--
Gallery Robinson Web Services