[thelist] Mail server woes.

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue May 9 11:53:57 CDT 2006

My host provider moved my reseller account.

we have had problems since (two weeks now and counting).

The current issue is making my head hurt, so I thought I'd ask for views.

We have a client, on broadband ADSL, that is using the mailserver
associated with their domain that lives on the new server.
(authenticated SMTP)

here's the problem.

they can send mail using mail.theirdomain.co.uk port25 to any domain
on the same server, but the minute they try to send to a domain not
hosted on the server (e.g. @gmail.com) Outlook returns an error:

Sending and receiving reported error (0x800CCC65) Your outgoing (SMTP)
email server has reported an internal error

*if* we set outlook to connect to the mail server on port 26 all is
fine and dandy and mail goes to any address.

So I've tested mail.theirdomain.co.uk port 25 from my machine and it
accepts mail without question.

The host is suggesting that my client's ISP has blocked port25, but as
I'm using the same ISP (but not the same IP range) I find that unlikely.

does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause?

I can see that one solution would be to configure all the clients
email clients to use port26, but we didn't have this problem till the
switched servers on us.  (and there's a lot of PC's to reconfigure)

TIA

Tony

--
Join me: http://wiki.workalone.co.uk/