[thelist] [TIP] - Use UTF-8 whenever possible, or get used to extra doses of caffeine.

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed May 10 05:05:49 CDT 2006

Nowadays, encoding issues are causing a lot of headaches to me.

I want to share my final round with my web server on ajax/c#.net encoding:

http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/2006/05/more-on-encoding-and-ajax.html

<tip author="Volkan Ozcelik" type="encoding">
In an n-tier web application the db tier may have a particular encoding,
while the request and responses may use some other for streaming data.
Moreover vendor-specific components may use a totally different encodings.

It is a good practice to use the same encoding in all tiers to avoid data
loss.

Again, it is a good practce to use UTF-8 as the encoding of your web
application.

Here is my reasoning:

1. First of all, AJAX posts and gets are UTF-8 encoded. And if you do not
use UTF-8 on your server, you will need to decode the response to a
form that the web server understands. And you will need get involved with
AJAX buzz sooner or later.

2. Secondly, using UTF-8 minimizes localization and internationalization
problems, which may consume a lot of your development time if you are
creating a non-English web application.

To sum up: Use UTF-8 whenever you can.
</tip>

Cheers,