[thelist] horizontal menu using a list

BJ bj at kickasswebdesign.com
Thu May 11 12:51:46 CDT 2006

>Anyway, I'm starting to think using a table for the nav bar is the
>best solution.
>
>Here's an early test without tables with <ul> where widths are set for
>each <li>.
>
>    http://hank.org/demos/foo.html
>
>The advantage of a table is it's much easier to make it fit 100% width
>and resizeable, have the buttons automatically size for the width of
>the text, make it easy to add menu items, and have all buttons resize
>in height together.

You might want to peek at this before you actually use the table:

http://dizque.lacalabaza.net/temp/full-width-navigation-bar-with-css.html

I've used this successfully in a few places. The beauty of it is that the text within the li elements wraps onto the next line instead of the whole list wrapping. Holds up to font resizing quite nicely. The only caveat being that it will never take more than, say, seven or eight links without needing rethinking, but in a lot of cases it will work very well.

--
Ciao for Now,
bj

http://kickasswebdesign.com
devblog: http://kickasswebdesign.com/wordpress/
Kickass WebGeek Resources: http://kickasswebdesign.com/webgeekdir/
Refresh Delaware Valley - Web Accessibility Group
http://refreshdelval.org

"I'd love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code...."

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound says I'm squeaky clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-2, 05/11/2006
Tested on: 5/11/2006 1:51:47 PM