[thelist] [TIP] - Use UTF-8 whenever possible, or get used to extra doses of caffeine.

Info@internetvraagbaak.nl info at internetvraagbaak.nl
Fri May 12 07:55:30 CDT 2006

>ISTM the standardisation for URIs ought to be UTF. I think itreasonable to
>assume that English-only speakers will have no interestin >visiting URIs
>they cannot even type such as özçelik.com, and ifthey are interested they
>will know how to use an alternate keyboard.

Well i cannot agree on that one altough i have great respect for arguments
you provide in your reaction!!

Using "another" keyboard setting is far from "easy"  and comfortable. I
switched once in a while between English - Latin and Cyrillic.
Well some applications would start a live on their own back then and switch
as they would like even when i definitely set the language to be this or
that. Ever tried to type Cyrillic on a Qwerty board..... Many people do not
even know how to type special characters that are not printed on a keyword
key....

On the other hand totally agree: somehow it cannot be right all is limited
to English latin only domains....
but then i think some solution must be found to make it as accessable for
all as possible.  Having domainnames in diff. character set will feed the
organisations and governments who want to have a closed internet for their
territory or language group only....

Think if this threads will go on some one get's enough handles to write an
award winning book on this subject :)
Internet and the internationalisation paradox.