[thelist] [TIP] - Use UTF-8 whenever possible, or get used to extra doses of caffeine.

T. R. Valentine trvalentine at gmail.com
Fri May 12 12:01:33 CDT 2006

On 12/05/06, kasimir-k <evolt at kasimir-k.fi> wrote:

> T. R. Valentine scribeva in 12/05/2006 12:06:
> > limit their URIs to the characters found in the English alphabet.
>
> It just so happens that the alphabet used in English is included in
> quite a few other languages' alphabet - lowest common denominator so to
> speak. It could be said that it is not English alphabet that is used in
> URIs, but a character set common to widest possible group.

The alphabet used in English is included in quite a few other
**Western** languages' alphabets -- but not in other languages.

As Info at internetvraagbaak.nl (rightly!) pointed out, 'Many people do
not even know how to type special characters that are not printed on a
keyword key' (though I'd change 'many' to 'most'). :-D

So, how does someone with an Arabic or Armenian or Chinese ChaJei --
or any one of dozens -- keyboard layout enter the non-accented Latin
characters (000000–00007F of Unicode or ASCII) (besides using Alt+
codes or copying and pasting)?

My concern/interest is in having the Internet as international as possible.

--
T. R. Valentine
Use a decent browser: Safari, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera