[thelist] FTP Problems on Mac

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Sun May 14 08:24:01 CDT 2006

Phil Morley wrote:

> I recently bought an iMac and have had serious problems connecting to
> my several FTP servers. I noticed a post made by yourself having the
> same problem. Have you been able to find out where mac screwed up?
> Please help me. Im running out of ideas.

Hi Phil,

sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with your FTP, but I don't
think your trouble-shooting is going to be helped by focusing on the
fact that you have an Apple.

I suspect you meant to send this to an individual rather than the list,
but just for reference, relevant information such as the following might
help you or someone else to suggest some meaningful steps

1. What FTP client are you using; is sftp on; is PASV mode on? Have you
tried PASV mode?

2. What are the symptoms of the actual problem - like, does it connect
then not give the list properly, or won't it authenticate, or does it
drop file uploads in the middle?

3. What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

4. Have you tried a different client? A different FTP server? Connecting
from a different location? (like, is it possible that you have a proxy
server on a corporate LAN that is barfing?)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk