[thelist] Anyone have experience with JBoss Portal? (Client side POV especially)

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Fri May 19 10:04:49 CDT 2006

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:

> Having just gone over the docs for JBoss Portal[1] and played around with
> it, I'm fairly annoyed from a client side perspective. Layout is abstracted
> to the moon, meaning in order to control layout you deal with tag libraries
> and xml docs, and yes, java classes. Getting at the actual HTML for portlets
> and windows and the like is nigh impossible, seemingly.

Actually, in my limited tinkering with JBoss, I've found it fairly
straightfoward to revise layout and presentation. Not *simple* -- this
is a fairly sophisticated portal, after all -- but logical and
manageable. Have you read the docs chapter on "Themes and Layouts"?

P.S. And you really shouldn't have to be messing about with class files,
not unless you're implementing *major* changes to the functionality of
the portal as a whole.

Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario