[thelist] browser snapshots

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:12:39 CDT 2006

> > I'm looking for a free service that will take screen shots of
> > how websites act in different browsers, I have seen a few
> > around but I think they charge.  Even a trial would work.
>
> http://www.browsercam.com/ has a free 24 hour trial, apparently.
>
> Although personally I wouldn't resent paying for what they offer. It
> seems pretty useful, and if it saves the trouble and expense of setting
> up multiple test rigs then it's worth a few dollars.

I tend to disagree. Sure you learn that it might look wrong, and then
what? Without having the browser at hand you cannot debug the problem.
Even if it displays correctly, how does that help you? Most browser
issues happen during interaction with the page, not at initial
rendering, which means that a result of browsercam can still be
totally unusable on this browser. If you really want to test on
different browsers - test on different browsers or contact people who
use these browsers. A screen shot means your design might be correct,
but a web site is not an image, it is an interactive construct.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com