[thelist] javascript-based webpage translation framework?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at thorslund.us
Mon May 29 16:20:33 CDT 2006

Matt Warden wrote:
> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >> What if I need to do the translation on client side? A.k.a the page
> loads,
> >> the javascript detect current user language and grab the
> translation for
> >> this language from translation XML file from server (e.g.
> trans.de.xml), and
> >> fill the page with translated text.
>
> Under what circumstances would you be able to detect this after page
> load and not upon receipt of the request on the server?

Perhaps when letting the user switch languages, and avoiding a page reload?

IMO, the server should detect the preferred language from the browser
settings and present the site in the highest-listed language that is
available. But this assumes that people configure their browsers, which
is not always true. So, presenting the alternatives on the site makes
sense as well.

But this sounds like a lot of work and overhead simply to avoid a page
reload...

Mattias