[thelist] javascript-based webpage translation framework?

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 04:01:01 CDT 2006

> > Under what circumstances would you be able to detect this after page
> > load and not upon receipt of the request on the server?
>
> Perhaps when letting the user switch languages, and avoiding a page reload?

methodology, it was thought up to speed up web applications not to
replace the whole HTTP/REST concept.

> IMO, the server should detect the preferred language from the browser
> settings and present the site in the highest-listed language that is
> available. But this assumes that people configure their browsers, which
> is not always true. So, presenting the alternatives on the site makes
> sense as well.

It also assumes that the user has his browser at his disposal. The
only place to check for language settings is in the profile of the
user in your system after the user has made the choice to select this
language. If I use a friend's computer in France I don't want the
French version, the same way I don't want the Japanese one in a
internet cafe in Tokio.

> But this sounds like a lot of work and overhead simply to avoid a page
> reload...

Exactly, use JavaScript don't abuse it.

--
Chris Heilmann