[thelist] Web Development Machine

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 13:14:50 CDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Chris at globet.com <Chris at globet.com> wrote:

> All
>
> I'm about to buy a new laptop to use for web development. I use Windows
> exclusively for web development, with Visual Studio .NET 2005.
>
> Now that the new Apple MacBook Pros are dual-bootable with Windows, I'm
> leaning heavily in that direction. Is anyone running a Windows dual boot
> on an Apple MacBook Pro? Does anyone have any (constructive) comments
> regarding the idea of developing .NET applications in Windows on a
> MacBook Pro?

Personally, if you do all of your work in Windows, I would strongly suggest
that you go with a Windows PC.

However, one thing that has not been mentioned in regards to Windows
virtualization on the Mac is Parrallels. It is similar to Virtual PC with
the exception that it works. It is currently in Release Candidate stage, but
it has a huge test group--basically anyone can download the RC for free and
try it out and then report on any errors or bugs in the software. I have a
friend who is using and he is very impressed with it. The cool thing about
the software is that you do not need to dual boot the machine. You can have
both OSs running at the sametime.

http://www.parallels.com/

Chris
--