[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Sarah Adams mrsanders at designshift.com
Thu Jun 8 10:04:01 CDT 2006

> Don't tell them about standards - their eyes will glaze over.
>
> Just tell them you'll build them :
> 1) a fast-loading site that
> 2) the search engines will love and that
> 3) will be easy to update and 're-skin' whenever needed and
> 4) uses the current best-practice web dev practices
>
> Don't sell clients standards - sell only the benefits. If they ask
> (most won't in my experience) then you can go a bit deeper.

I totally agree with this - the more succinctly you state your case, the
more likely the client is to agree with it. However, for those cases
when I need to do a little further explaining/convincing, I like to have
some good articles bookmarked to back up my case:
http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/index.html
http://www.adaptivepath.com/publications/essays/archives/000266.php
http://jessey.net/blog/archive/entries/?id=144
http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archive/2004/06/web-standards-roi