[thelist] Alias' problems with Apache and IE

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 11:01:22 CDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Stefan Schwarzer <st.schwarzer at geois.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> The URL (www.xxx.yy) accesses directly the files in htdocs.
>
> To access files in the directories one level up (download and temp)
> we've created an Alias in the Apache2 conf file. (Running Linux)
>
> The only browser having problems with accessing files in these two
> folders, is IE. I've tested on a dozen other browsers - no problem.
> But IE refuses cooperation. Once we've moved the temp and download
> folder into the htdocs level - no more problem.

Hi Stefan,

I ran into a similar problem on Windows a while back. AFAICT, Apache(2) is
"slash-sensitive" when it comes to aliases. I solved it thus:

Alias /downloads/ "/www/site/downloads"
Alias /downloads "/www/site/downloads"

Note the lack of a terminating / in the second Alias. This solved my
problem.

HTH,
Rick.