[thelist] Web App GUI

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 13:19:58 CDT 2006

Hershel,

First of all, take a look at these:

http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> I am looking for a few examples of the types of interface elements we
> can incorporate. Instead of popping up browser windows, I want to popup
> virtual windows. This is the only example that comes to mind:
>
> http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/show/Draggables

Yawn.

XP look:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panel-xp.ht

Aqua look:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panel-aqua.html

Independent look:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/dialog.html

But, the point is, YUI Panel is extremely easy to subclass and style to
your liking.

> but I know I have seen windows that look more like a Windows OS window.
> What I really want is to find a sample of a more X-Windows style virtual
> window in which double-clicking on the title bar rolls up the body of
> the window into the title bar--I believe I saw such a demo once but I
> can't find it now.

Again, extremely easy to do. Simply listen to that event and alter the
height of the panel, or hide the panel and replace it with a closed
state version.

> We also looked at this:
>
> http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/
>
> as an interesting idea of scrolling through a list of items--in our case
> it would be data items (like customer accounts etc.) instead of images,
> but overall, the look and feel here I like.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/container/panel-photo.html

And so far we've only talked about YUI's Panel component.

See here for the rest: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

Dom, Event, Container, CSS Reset, CSS Fonts, and CSS Page Grids are
essential in my personal toolkit. I've also used Drag and Drop, Slider,
Calendar, and Animation. A warning, though: these are technically beta
quality. However, the support from the YUI team is amazing, and I have
had no problems so far. They are already sharing roadmap information
with us, and they are paying attention to backward compatibility.

> Anyone have any other demos to share?

I think the YPatterns stuff is increasingly important as the web is used
more as a platform. OS's have behavior and design standards, and the web
will be no different.

I know I sound like a Yahoo employee or something, but I'm not. YUI is
simply the first such library that is (a) modest and doesn't try to do
too much too soon (i.e., before building an extensible foundation), and
(b) actually cares about good programming practices. I have found no
instances where YUI extends the JavaScript language. The same absolutely
cannot be said about libraries like prototype and scriptalicious. Why do
you care? The more the rules are different due to including one library,
the more likely you are to have serious problems using another library
(or any previously-written code, really) in conjunction.

Hope this helps. This kind of thing is an extremely interesting
discussion. The way most people are developing "ajax applications" now
will not last long, so it's good for all of us to discuss this and
figure out better ways.

- --
Matt Warden
Oxford, OH, USA