[thelist] Website Width i.e. 760px vs 960px

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Jun 13 02:17:10 CDT 2006

On 06/06/13 02:25 (GMT-0400) Justin Zachan apparently typed:

> I have been building 960px wide web sites for a while now as a lot of
> clients request this and only occasionally do 760px wide. (Fixed width).

> I am well aware this may mean a horizontal scroll for some (depending on
> screen size and resolution) but have found overall that 960px wide works
> well. The trend these days is wider monitors etc.

Doesn't work so well with 1024x768 users with sidebars or not using full
screen to browse.

> I usually place the main content within 760px anyway and use this extra
> 200px for additional content...

> topic, the pros and cons and so on. Just so I am more informed and up to
> date regarding website widths... Any useful experience and tips is also
> good.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dao/

Here's a synopsis of what fixed width design means:

http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/bbcSS.html

Fixed sizes are for paper, not the web. No site designed for the web, as
opposed to paper designs hosted on the web, needs _anything_ sized in
px. Simple examples of pages without px or % to size include bbcSS
above, http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/indexx.html
and http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Sites/dlviolin.html .
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409