[thelist] accepted page weight

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 08:30:43 CDT 2006

> Generally speaking, what is accepted page weight in kilobytes?  Fast
> broadband connections make 130k load reasonably fast, but there are
> still lots of 56k modem folks out there (I think).  It's a real push to
> keep pages below 75k given a couple graphics or perhaps some javascript.
>
> Perhaps I ask the wrong question.  Modem users, these days, what do they
> accept - (8, 10, 15 seconds)- and are there enough, statistically to
> build sites tailored to them?  Of course this could be one of the
> interview questions to the client, i.e. "the makeup of your audience???"

Depends what you have to offer?

It is never a bad idea to keep the site as small as possible. It is
very hard if not possible to tell how short or long the fuse of your
visitors is. A 30 second wait for a financial app seems OK, with a
ecommerce site I might consider something went boom. I can wait for a
minute to download a movie but if it takes 30 seconds for your blog to
render I will read it in netvibes instead.

Once again, test it on real users and see their reactions.

Waiting time is not linear, it is very dependent on the circumstances.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com