[thelist] Linux Reseller

Alastair Campbell ac at alastc.com
Tue Jun 13 11:54:52 CDT 2006

Hershel Robinson wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

If you are happy with being admin/root user, and setting up what you
want, I would use Bytemark.co.uk. Searching the list archive showed a
couple of questions but no experiences with Bytemark so I'll say more
than you probably need this time:

I've got a couple of accounts with them. Performance wise
(space/CPU/memory) you get what you pay for, and on the cheaper accounts
I wouldn't run Java, but for most web apps and email it's fine. I run
email with spamassassin and clamav easily on the second account up
(160MB mem). I believe they are quite heavy applications? Also running a
few web sites and domains, with Apache 2, PHP & MySQL.

Emails are dealt with quickly, the founders are still on rotation for
support, they host lug radio podcasts, and they give money to Debian :)

On one of my accounts they had severe hardware failure on it's physical
machine and they had to move all the VMs off, which they completed in a
couple of hours. The uptime on my other VM was over 350 days until I had
to restart to get the free upgrade in memory & space.

That said, if you want a nice control panel and applications already
running, it's probably not for you. You get a base debian (or other)
install with standard servers running. You must be happy administering a
server on the command line.

Hth,

-Alastair