[thelist] Integrating a discussion forum

April april at farstrider.org
Tue Jun 13 19:36:52 CDT 2006

Of all that I've played with, punBB seems to be the easiest for using
its database for other parts of your site.  You don't have to use the
forums signup to create new users, and you can use the forums
authentication to check if someone is signed in from anywhere in the
site.  There's a how-to somewhere on the official sites discussion
forum.  You're using their database schema though and adding your own
custom fields.  As for it using your existing database schema... the
amount of modification that would take probably wouldn't be worth it,
since it's even more work and you break the forum for updates too.