[thelist] SQL: summing and counting the same field, based on value

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Wed Jun 14 10:06:19 CDT 2006

> If, for efficiency reasons, you only want one query, compute both sum
> and count for each grouping, and ignore the three extra
> counts in your
> data retrieval loop.  Otherwise, just use two queries.

yup; went with version one and fancy looping through my getrows array

just seeing if there was a different way to push this envelope; still
amazes me how often another evolter has a simple and elegant solution to
something I'm doing as above. just turns out in this case that this is
the best we get.

thanks all

joel