[thelist] Debugging Mode vs. Live Mode

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Jun 16 16:26:30 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Rob Smith
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Debugging Mode vs. Live Mode
:
: All I was looking for was an explanation as to why I can't see my stuff
: in live mode. Oh. I'm on day 3 of learning ASP.NET 2.0. What you know
: you take for granted.
:
: Metaphorically speaking, I don't think I need to get any more detailed
: than asking how to screw in a light bulb.

You can find the answer to that question in the manual.

Presumably however, things are not working properly. This either indicates
that:
a) you do not know what you are doing. In which case Anthony posted some
links and introductory material
b) you do know what you are doing, however there is something wrong with your
configuration preventing things from working properly. In which case, you do
need to provide more details so that we might be able to pinpoint what the
problem is

If you actually *read* the link that I posted (and other links I've posted in
the past) you probably would have said:
"
I am trying to accomplish the following <...desired outcome...>

I have done this:
- step 1
- step 2
- step 3

My configuration is this:
- box 1 running <OS>
- box 2 running <OS>

I have a domain/workgroup

When I attempt to do "x" I get the following "y"

I have searched on "y" and found/looked at the following resources:
- webpageA. When I tried this, "abc" happened
- webpageB. When I tried this, "def" happened

What do you think is wrong?
"

You see how that shows what you are trying to do, what you've attempted, and
what your configuration is? That provides us some insight into what your
problem statement is, and what your environment is.

: You guys want to know what
: kind of bulb it is, who's the manufacturer, is it up to code, is it an
: incandescent or halogen, is this for a lamp or ceiling mounted ambient
: control device, what year is it from, who was the inventor, what did
: they have for breakfast on June 14, 1975?

Because we have assumed you have done your due diligence, and so do not fall
into category (a) above, but into category (b). On the other hand, if you
want someone to type out instructions from MSDN, then I think you're in the
wrong place.

: If I ask vague questions, it's probably because I don't know enough
: about the issue at hand. I'm expecting vague answers, not a tongue
: lashing.

If you would like polite, friendly, knowledgeable technical support, please
call Microsoft PSS and pay them. If you want free support (and it seems that
you've posted a number of questions here where people have helped you solve
your problems for free, presumably problems that _you_ _get_ _paid_ to work
on), then unfortunately you get what you pay for.

This is the last that I will say on the matter, and it's also the last time
that I'm going to assist you with your problems. I think that might be better
for sanity of both of us.

Cheers
Ken

--
My IIS Blog: www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken
Tech.Ed Boston 2006 See you there: Everything the web administrator needs to