[thelist] question about site titles

Jeniffer C. Johnson lead at offlead.com
Sat Jun 17 14:18:06 CDT 2006

I was spending some time today sorting through my bookmarks, doing some
reorganizing and general cleaning up, and wondering when I became such a
bookmark horder. In doing this task, I realized that a fair number of my
bookmarks I cannot identify unless I widen out the window to show the whole
title line, because the actual name of the site is listed dead last, after
the pertinent descriptions and keywords. Sometimes it isn't even included at
the end, leaving me to either try to pull the name out of the url, or to go
to the bookmark to discover the name of the site. I'm having to rename a
surprising number of the bookmarks in order to be able to use them more
efficiently later.

Does the title of the site (and thus the title of the bookmark) weigh so
heavily in search engine placements that it's useful to put the descriptive
copy BEFORE the site title? Is there some other reason for doing this, other
than developers or clients just not knowing how this might affect return
traffic via bookmarks? Am I just being overly cranky this afternoon? ;-)

Jeniffer

Jeniffer C. Johnson
OffLead Productions
http://www.offlead.com