[thelist] question about site titles

misterhaan misterhaan at track7.org
Sat Jun 17 15:19:22 CDT 2006

Jeniffer C. Johnson wrote:
> Does the title of the site (and thus the title of the bookmark) weigh so
> heavily in search engine placements that it's useful to put the descriptive
> copy BEFORE the site title? Is there some other reason for doing this, other
> than developers or clients just not knowing how this might affect return
> traffic via bookmarks? Am I just being overly cranky this afternoon? ;-)
For my site I title pages going from most specific on the left to least
specific on the right.  The reason I do this is because if you open a
bunch of windows or tabs that are all from my site, you can tell which
is which pretty easily.  As an example, reading a thread in my forums
has a title composed of [thread name] - [forum name] - [site name].

I never really thought about bookmarks, but I think it's generally more
useful to know what the bookmarked page is than which site it's from.