[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Ben Glassman bglassman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 10:42:53 CDT 2006

On 6/20/06, Christian Heilmann <codepo8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > time researchin IE bugs, etc. etc. and pulling my hair out trying to
> > get a layout to appear the same in every browser we wanted to support,
>
> And that is the big mistake. The idea of forcing a web site to look
> exactly the same on every browser (even in a limited range you want to
> support) regardless of quality of the browser itself is just wasting
> your time.

I don't think its a "big mistake" at all. I do not find it to be
particularly time consuming to ensure that the sites I code look very
much the same if not exactly the same in the browsers that we choose
to support.

Obviously I want to ensure that the content degrades gracefully in
other, older browsers, but I can't imagine what argument you can make
that you would want your site to look different to different users
because their browsers are not rendering the code correctly,
especially when its not that difficult to do.

If you want a "consistent user experience" I would say that everyone
looking at the same site is a good place to start.

Ben