[thelist] arguments pro css & xhtml / con tables

Canfield, Joel JCanfield at PacAdvantage.org
Tue Jun 20 11:13:13 CDT 2006

First, y'all ought to define what you mean by 'looking the
same/different' - there's acres (or perhaps hectares) of subjectivity
there

> What if your user is going to visit your site from different
> locations? Using different browsers? You dont think they might get
> confused if the site looks different depending on the machine/browser
> they are looking at it with? I don't think thats good from a usability
> standpoint.

Personally, I wouldn't find that any more confusing than the difference
between the hardback and paperback copies of a book, or the widescreen
and pan/scan versions of a movie. People are used to those subtle
differences.

> I want my sites to
> look consistent on the browsers I code for, and that isnt a waste of
> time or a big mistake.

'look consistent' is a subjective term. if you mean 'look identical,
pixel for pixel', I disagree. if you really just mean 'generally look,
feel, and function the same', sure, that makes sense.

joel