[thelist] Mysql > finding out the name of remote server

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Wed Jun 21 21:34:44 CDT 2006

> From: Paul Bennett
> I've tried that but now get a 'cannot connect' error. I've
> tried using port 3306 (mysql default) but no joy.
> Weird thing was that mysql was prompting for password before
> (showing that it may have been actually connecting) but isn't
> when I remove 'localhost'.

Are you sure that port 3306 is open to external inbound TCP connections?
(And for that matter, does your local firewall allow TCP egress (outbound)
to 3306?).   Sounds like your server has 3306 blocked from inbound
connections, which would generally be a Good Idea from a security
standpoint.  Your -h localhost at something giving you a prompt was probably
the mysql at localhost responding (usually 127.0.0.1 on Win machines), not
the remote one.

Do you have root/administrator access to the server?  What OS is it running?
What firewall is it running?  Taking a wild guess that it's a unix box with
APF running as the firewall, check your ingress (inbound) ports line in
conf.apf (afaik commonly located at /etc/apf/conf.apf):
IG_TCP_CPORTS="20,21..blahblah"
And see that 3306 is in there.  If not, add it and restart apf.  As I said,
wild guess.  Maybe it'll be helpful, maybe not.  More details will probably
get you a proper reply.

--
Max Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/