[thelist] IE and redirect to SSL

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Jun 22 09:04:18 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 02:12:24PM +0100, Lee kowalkowski wrote:
> Are your full, absolute urls dynamically changing between
> http://bumby:82 and https://bumby:1443 then?  Are you also redirecting
> the requests for the images and CSS?

Yes, and yes.

$ GET -Sd http://infopeople.org:82/login
GET http://infopeople.org:82/login --> 302 Found
GET https://infopeople.org:1443/login --> 200 OK

You can look at the pages and see.

> > And then IE displays the page without any styling or images.
> >
> > If I hit the reload button on IE then the page loads correctly (and
> > the web server logs look normal).
>
> I guess the 302 is confusing IE.  Can't the login link go directly to https?

I would hope 302 doesn't confuse IE.  The link probably should go
directly to https, but I don't think it's related.  Being able to
handle redirects is kind of a basic function for a web browser.

Again, when running on standard ports 80/443 IE is fine -- and also
the fact that a reload in IE loads the page fine makes it clear IE is
confused, I think.  But, maybe there's something triggering it.

It's only a problem during testing since a few people use IE.

> What is your IE security setting for "display mixed content"?

"prompt".  If "mixed content" means http images on an https page,
then I shouldn't have mixed content.  Plus it doesn't prompt.

> Actually, I seem to remember a bug where when rendering links in a
> redirected response the request contained the original port numbers.
> This would explain why you're not experiencing this when using the
> default port numbers, because they would be omitted when using the
> default ports.

And it drives me crazy using IE that I have to put in http:// when
using a non-standard port.  Can't it assume if I leave off the scheme
that I want http since I'm using a web browser?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org