[thelist] Dell Computer Blows Up

Max Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jun 22 13:23:18 CDT 2006

> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550
> From: Dennis Lapcewich
> Besides the pretty pictures, the most important point in the
> article is
> this single line ...
> "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks
> out on a plane."

No it's not.  This is:
"In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a
laptop on your lap. Ouch." =8O

<tip type="Hide your markup comments" author="Max Schwanekamp">
Commenting in code is a good thing, a grand thing, and we'll all thank ya
kindly for it.  But maybe you're worried about making it too easy for
miscreants to understand your fiendishly clever CSS layout, or maybe you
don't want to spend bandwidth sending paragraphs of comments that are only
intended for a few other people who would have access to the source code
anyhow.  So use server-side scripting to hide them.  E.g. instead of:
<!-- The question to which the answer is 42 is... -->
Do this:
<?php /* The question to which the answer is 42 is... */ ?>
Or whatever, depending on your scripting language.

Of course if you're using plain ol' .htm files, you might need to tell the
server to parse 'em first.  E.g. if you're using Apache, put this in the
site root .htaccess file to do that:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
AddType application/x-httpd-php .htm
</tip>