[thelist] IE and redirect to SSL

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Jun 23 04:20:34 CDT 2006

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Bill Moseley
: Sent: Friday, 23 June 2006 5:39 PM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: Re: [thelist] IE and redirect to SSL
:
: On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 01:10:33PM +1000, Ken Schaefer wrote:
: > However, Ethereal will be able to tell you the TCP port number(s)
: that the
: > requests are going to. You can verify whether IE is connecting to 82
: or 1443
: > on the remote machine.
:
: Yes, as I posted, the requests (after being redirected to the ssl
: page) are sent port 82, not 1443 as expected.
:

What I am suggesting is that we get independent verification (i.e. not just
from your webserver) about what's going where. Your webserver is logging
requests on port 82 that don't look like valid HTTP requests. It may be that
this extra information tells us nothing new. However when trying to
troubleshoot situations like this, we should try to collect as much data as
possible, from as many different sources as possible. That helps us work
where things are going wrong. For all we know, you have a software "security
suite" installed that could be doing funky things to outbound requests. Not
suggesting this is the case, but getting data from both sides of the
connection enables us to see that the problem lies somewhere between IE and
the webserver in that case. On the other hand, if both sides of the
connection are in agreeance, then we can eliminate something in between as
being the cause of the problem.

: > As mentioned - if you actually want to solve this issue, rather
: > than just blaming IE/complaining about IE, then some steps have been
: > proposed/information asked of you.
:
: I'll take a look at IE Fiddler.  But isn't it just an http proxy?
: Ethereal works fine for that.  Fiddler won't tell me anything more
: than I have already posted if it's just a proxy.

Ethereal isn't a HTTP proxy. Ethereal relies on a kernel-mode driver to
capture data. It operates at a much lower level in the TCP/IP stack than
Fiddler. That's why you can't see what's inside SSL/TLS secured channels
using Ethereal - it's already been encrypted at a higher level in the stack.

Cheers
Ken