[thelist] border-style and IE

Peter L. Sc hlueter peter.schlueter at pcadvocates.com
Mon Jul 3 08:54:16 CDT 2006

> > >I have a problem with a Very simple site.
> http://www.undergroundrapcd.com .
> > >Simple one page, no graphics, no floats, text only! But IE
> will not display
> > >the {border-style: groove;} request. Firefox does.
> >
> >Hi Pete,

> Allow me to recant this statement in favour of another.
>
> I've done some more research and I found one obscure page that states
> "Some of the 3D effects (such as groove) are only displayed if
> you define a
> color that is not black." [0]
>
> So I gave that a try and it does indeed work in IE. Maybe you can use a
> dark grey border instead of solid black?

I solved the problem with the help of several Lists...

Els & Francky wrote

> [border-style:groove;]
> > Thanks! In the meantime I prepared an alternative solution:
> > play the border-colors round with a solid style and the half
> > of the border-width in the #wrapper, and add an
> > "#inner-wrapper" doing the same for the inside groovy colors.
> > Then browsers (and IE) cannot run away! :-) So: new testpages
> > <http://home.tiscali.nl/developerscorner/css-discuss/test-groove-c.htm>.
>
> Just switch the bottom and left inner/outer colours for the
> authentic groove style though! ;-)

Thanks to all for their help. The test pages were a great help and put me
onto another solution. I used the Tan Hack.
My revised CSS is as follows...
 /*relevant section of css*/
#wrapper {
	width: 70%;
	border-width: 1.5em;
	border-style: groove;
	border-color: #000000;
	margin: 1em auto 0 auto;
	text-align: left;
	background-color: #ffffff;
	}
/*Tan hack*/
* html body #wrapper {
	border-color: #b2b2b2;
	}
/*End border-style section*/
Now the {border-style: groove;} shows as intended, well almost. The Black in
IE is #2c2c2c as opposed to #000000 in firefox. I can probably play around
with the starting color in IE to get closer to #000000; but for a single
page site it is not worth the effort.
Thanks again for your help
Pete