[thelist] CSS Issue IE vs Firefox

Gunlaug Sørtun gunlaugs at c2i.net
Wed Jul 5 13:29:45 CDT 2006

Chris Dempsey wrote:
> Would anyone like to take a look at: www.viridismotoringservices.com
> and see if they can advise why in Firefox the body DIV tag does not
> expand to fit the content placed in it as it does in IE6?

> Tried a few things already but cannot figure what's causing this
> behaviour [poor css on my part probably].

...and an IE/win bug :-)

- IE doesn't respect any 'height' so it will expand those divs until the
content fits inside - which looks good but is completely wrong.

- Firefox, and all good browsers, do respect 'height', so what doesn't
fit inside those divs will overflow them - which looks bad but is
perfectly correct.

Simplest solution: don't set 'height' on those divs.

I tested your page with the following style...
div {height: auto!important;}
...and Firefox, Opera and IE6 rendered it pretty identical.

	Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no