[thelist] Sales Tax Software

work at erikbennett.com work at erikbennett.com
Thu Jul 6 11:23:26 CDT 2006

I know this has been asked about before, but my situation is a tad
different than most. What I'm looking for is software to calculate sales
tax on sales made from a web shopping cart. Easy enough, right? The
problem is that we have nexus in 8 states, which means we also have to
collect sales tax in those 8 states. Even more problematic, one of those
states does not have sales tax on clothing (which is our primary line of
business) unless that clothing is also considered "equipment" (So if I
sell shoes and cleats, the shoes are non-taxed, and the cleated shoes are
taxed).

Basically, I'm just looking for software that will do the calculations for
me, either for all 50 states, or on a state by stae basis. And I'm not
interested in shopping cart software that will let me set up "tables" to
calculate the tax. Another of the states we have to collect in bases it's
tax on the address (i.e. the street address) which theoretically could
mean one side of the street has a different sales tax than the other.

So to sum it up, has anyone had any experience with, or heard of any
software (preferably web based) that can do this?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Erik