[thelist] [CF & SQL] Passing ColdFusion List Variable into SQL INStatement

Chris Hayes chris at lwcdial.net
Thu Jul 6 11:31:56 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Minh Lee Goon" <evolt at goonies.info>

> SELECT *
> FROM TableName
> WHERE ColumnName IN ('#ListName#')
>
> I've always had good luck with statements like this, so I'm baffled now.
> I did try to hard-code the list elements into the query statement and
> that worked just fine. Do I have to replace the list elements to add the
> single quotes around them?

Yes, what you end up with must look like :

SELECT *
FROM TableName
WHERE ColumnName IN ('name1', 'name2', 'name3')

So if your list is not already qualified , use

ListQualify(list, qualifier)

like this...

SELECT *
 FROM TableName
 WHERE ColumnName IN (#ListQualify(ListName#, "'")#)

*Note the "'" is double-single-double quotes     "    '    "

HTH