[thelist] Free MySQL Editor

Matthew Bernhardt bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 6 13:42:08 CDT 2006

Hey all,
   There's a few, actually - but none exactly like MySQL-Front. For
structural changes, you can try the MySQL Administrator, which is great
for anything that doesn't involve actually looking at the contents of a
field. You can also do some editing with the MySQL Query Browser, but that
requires that all input be in the form of a SQL statement; you can't just
click in a field and type the new value in (Excel style) and have the
program generate the SQL statement for you.

http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/

   Beyond those two, there's a tool called the MySQL Workbench that is in
development - it might still be in alpha testing. I believe it is written
by the person who wrote DBDesigner (fabFORCE.net), but I may be
mis-remembering.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/

If anybody knows of a way to do Excel-style content changes in a MySQL
database (without MySQL-Front), I'd love to hear about it too...

HTH,
Matt

Matt Bernhardt, bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Webmaster  +  Fab  Lab  Coordinator