[thelist] Avoiding logging of bots

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 18:17:59 CDT 2006

Max Schwanekamp wrote:
> Anyone on the list been down this road before, and either have
> data/prefab solution they're willing to share and/or suggestions for
> a better way to approach this?

Well, I have this sort of thing on a couple of my client sites where I
hand roll some site stats because it's all CMS driven and the regular
web stats have unhelpful things like...

index.asp?p=3243

I believe the best solution is to use JavaScript to deliver the thing
you're tracking, and this is the approach taken by Sean Inman's
excellent Mint, which I would recommend for any site with no more than
moderate traffic and a LAMP environment.

I know there are claims that many users don't have JavaScript support.
In the general case, I personally doubt that significant numbers of
these users exist.

One day it would be nice to test the proposition properly.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

--
zStudio - Web development and accessibility
- http://zStudio.co.uk