[thelist] IE7 confuddlement

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Wed Jul 12 23:17:13 CDT 2006

>I don't know what Andy Clarke said at Mix06. In fact, until today, I'd never
>heard of him. I don't see why releasing VPC for free would have anything to
>do with what a web design company's creative director would say though.

http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/

You haven't heard of him but you know he's a 'web design company's creative director'? ;) (Kidding Ken, I'm guessing you Googled...)

There was a bit of talk in the panel discussion about the need for developers to be able to reliably run multiple versions of  IE for testing.

I was just wondering....

<tip type="IE7 and Pop up blocking">
If you've a site or application using a lot (or even any) popup windows, IE7 will block the lot of them. In my experience it even blocks valid links with target="_blank".

There doesn't seem to be a simple way for Joe-user to keep a white list of sites without having to manually enter them in settings, so it's not as simple to overcome or tweak as Firefox's popup blocker.

Info and a workaround here:
http://tinyurl.com/jdfqg

My advice is to be very careful about opening new windows or popping up JavaScript dialogues if you're going to be catering to IE7 users.

And really, who isn't going to be?
</tip>